Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My First Real Suit

I made the decision the other day to go out and buy a new suit. I have purchased several in my life, but only in America. I figured the experience might be similar here in Japan - pick a suit off the rack and have them tailor the pants to fit. Of course, I am too big of a guy to be able to do that here. So, I found a shop in downtown Osaka that custom tailors suits. I really had no idea what to expect, but I was so pleasantly suprised. Getting a custom made suit in Japan was one of the best decisions I have made here.

Japan is known for its level of service - it literally permeates every aspect of the society. Just walking into the shop you can feel the difference between here and the U.S. You are immediately greeted when you walk in, and an employee is available to you when you are ready. However, you don`t feel smothered like you do in some stores in America. Next, I sat down with an employee and a friend of mine who could translate for me. He talked me through the process and then began to measure me up. After the measurements, you try on a coat, then pants. Throughout the entire process the stylist is with you and he asks what you like, what you don`t, what you would like to change. As attentive as the stylist was, you would think that I was shopping in an Armani or Polo store. He was incredible and you could tell that he really took his job seriously, which I have found to be true with nearly every Japanese person I have ever met - they complete their jobs/tasks to the best of their ability - its truly humbling and impressive.

The entire process took over two hours. I had to sit down and pick out everything on the suit, down to the color of the stitching and buttons. I also bought a custom made shirt and tie (again, we couldn't find a size that fit me). It was one of the best experiences I have had here, and I highly recommend anyone that comes to Japan to do same. You will not find this level of service and attention to detail outside of Japan, and you don't even have to be upper-class.

Click here to visit the store's website

No comments: