Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Japanese Politeness

I believe that racism is still prevalent within the Japanese society, but I usually only see it in the older generations. While I believe that Japan still has racism, I don’t necessarily think it is has more than America, I just think that in America it is under the surface.

Although I do believe that racism is here, I believe that Japan, by-and-large, treats foreigners incredibly well. I know from personal experience that when I first got here, I had a lot of trouble just ordering food in restaurants. Yet, every time I have trouble communicating what I want to people in restaurants or stores, they never seem to get upset, and they genuinely seem like they want to help. And they almost always try to use the English they know to help me out. I think that’s awesome. I know in America that we have a lot of non-English speaking residents and they are in a tough situation. I used to work retail, and I know on several occasions that non-English speaking people came into my shop and I tried to help. Ashamedly, I know that I got upset, and probably visibly so. But, every time I have had trouble in Japan, they never get upset.

Just last night, I hoped on a train back to my where I am staying in Tokyo. Apparently I had boarded a part of the train that is meant for people who pay extra money for a nicer seat. Unbeknownst to me, I sat down in the nice seat and started listening to music and playing my DS. After a stop or two an employee for the company came up and started speaking to me in Japanese. I understood what she was saying for the most part, but I didn’t understand all of it. Instead of getting upset and just telling me to leave, she explained slowly that you have to have a special ticket to sit in these seats and that she will show me where I should be. She could have easily just gotten upset and pointed to the door. I really appreciated her sincerity and how patient she was with me.

I love this country.

No comments: